Old March 29th 16, 05:14 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Tony

Default HP 2450 -- Poor Printer, Expensive Ink & Poon Online & Phone support

"Snuffy \"Hub Cap\" McKinney" wrote:
"Tony" lizandtony at orcon dot net dot nz wrote in message
news
"Snuffy \"Hub Cap\" McKinney" wrote:
"Martin Ī¤rautmann" wrote in message
On Sat, 12 Mar 2016 10:35:50 -0800, We Shall Over Comb wrote:
General about HP 2450....
I have had this for about 9 months. Prints fine for up to 50 sheets
of
8.5 x 11, but more than that or other types of paper it is not
satisfactory.
My typical job is printing 75 8.5x11 sheets of Avery labels. After
about 30
sheets, it starts to slow down and eventually pauses several seconds
between
sheets. Never had that problem with any make printer I have used in the
last
20 years.

For printing and scanning, it will not print on the bottom that is
within
1-inch of the edge of the paper. This is a pain because many forms and
originals to copy are printed to 3/8 to 1/2 inch margin. Printing from
PDF is
a mystery to me. It's "smart system" tries to offset printing when I
want it
to just print exactly what is on the image.

Ink...
I don't mind buying ink cartridges if it's a good printer, which this
one
is not. Plus cartridges are now $30+ for XL black. I have always
refilled
ink cartridges. But this one has some kind of software lock so that I
can't
get refilled cartridges to work. I have read several posts and info
online
explaining how to put a new catridget it, run it, replace with refill,
etc.,
and none of these procedures work for me.

I was very surprised to read about all of that, since mine is fast and
does print very well....

... until I recognized that you talk about the HP *DeskJet* 2450, while
I do use the HP *LaserJet* 2450.

If you do print that much, you should not use an inkjet printer, but a
laserjet instead.

- Martin

That was not the question. Ink jet is superior for what I'm doing.
Before
you start up with laser being better than ink jet, filter the air in the
room
where your printer is located and you will find sum ppm carbon particles.
These cannot be avoided with laser printers. Particles end up in your
lungs
and over time can cause brown lung disease. Also laser is high temp, high
electricity usage and large cartridges are extremely difficult (and toxic)
refill, and end up in land fills.

Yes there is no question that both laser and ink printers have their place.
No
point in debating that.
But I have to comment on the rest of your post. Many years ago (at least 20)
there was some evidence that exposure to toner caused lung disease. That is
no
longer the case; the component parts of toner changed and that removed the
risk
- there is no evidence of that problem now except in cases where people have
massive exposure. I have seen pictures of childern playing in used toner
dumps
in China, I don't know whether that is still the case, and that I am sure
would
be seriously hazardous. Toner is no longer toxic; the only risk is massive
exposure to such fine particles not normal exposure in an office environment.
Tony

There is no comparison between ink and toner for safety. Toner is hazardous
no matter what. It is not toxic as with chemicals, but it gets in the lungs
and builds up over time, just like coal dust. Toner cartridges I have used are
not air tight. When replacing them toner gets out in the room air.

That used to be almost true, it is no longer so. Toner is only hazardous when
working with it for the purpose of filling or refilling and there are easy
safeguards available. It is in any event absolutely not dangerous except in
very large quantities which is not somethinga ny user would experience. The
world has moved on and what you are saying is 20 years out of date.

Also I have seen the places where carbon is produced in NC. The workers go
home covered head to toe with black dust and within 15 years go out on
disability. I won't support an industry that treats its employees this way
when I have a decent alternative.

There is no carbon in toner. Ink printers are not an alternative to lasers,
simply a different quality at a different price (much higher) and a very
different speed.

Besides the toner, the Samslung laser I had would heat the paper up so hot
that it curled - amost too hot to touch when it hit the output tray.

A very small number of laser printers do that, the vast majority do not do so
provided the user sets the driver up correctly.

Also, for quality, ink jet is still far superior. Laser will never be as high
resolution because of the application process.

Used to be always true, however laser printers produce better text output than
most ink printers at a much lower cost per page and the quality of laser colour
posters is terrific today. You need to look at the latest lasers to get an
idea. The one thing that is correct is that laser printers still do not produce
photo quality but their prints will last much longer than any ink print can.
In other words, horses for courses is it not?

Tony