Old October 25th 06, 12:48 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Citizen Bob

Default Corrupt NTFS filesystem

On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 17:49:00 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

THERE ARE NO SEPARATE DEVICE DRIVERS.

Here's the facts as I see them.

1) If I open a defragger (NT Defrag or Perfect Disk), I see two
entries per partition. Both have a drive letter and one has the volume
label, whereas the other is blank after the drive letter.

2) This does not show up in Disk Management. However there are hidden
devices sometimes because when I format a partition, it won't let me
assign the drive letters for the hidden devices.

3) In DiskPerfect I can expose the GUID for the device drivers, and
they are different for the two entries per partition.

4) Every time I change the disk signature (using Win98SE fdisk /mbr) I
get a message that I have to reboot because Windows has detected a new
device.

You've stuffed something up, presumably in the process of
using that abortion of a RAID, but it could just as easily have
been you use of whatever it was you used to clone the drive too.

The problem was present before I used clones. That problem (corrupt
NTFS partitions) was the reason I got rid of the RAID contraption.

Also, in the Registry there is key that shows Mounted Devices.
It has an entry for the hidden drive letter that can't be used.
If I clear out that key, it becomes available.

Presumably something else keeps putting it back.

If I could find what it is, I might be able to fix this problem.

One poster suggested that I use RegMon (a Registry monitor that
displays everything that goes on in the Registry) to track down the
problem. The trouble with that is there would be literally thousands
of records to sort thru.

I contacted the Product Line Manager in Taiwan and she was
eager to work with me to find the source of the problem. But
after a short period she turned cold - I suspect she discovered
that there was something radically wrong with her product.

Or she decided that you were too bone headed to bother with.

Why would you say that? If you knew me, you would know I am the
complete opposite. Are you sure you are not projecting.

Kony clearly has.

Kony doesn't appreciate what I am up against. Anyway, there may be a
misunderstanding about what he means by a "fresh install". I took it
to mean that I have to reinstall all my applications, which is clearly
a nightmare. Now he tells me in his last post that there is a way to
do a fresh install without having to reinstall everything - and it is
not an IPU.

A retrospective abortion may well be the only solution.

That is not a nice thing to say about my son.

--

"Nothing in the world can take the place of perseverence. Talent
will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.