Old July 27th 06, 02:16 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg
EDM

Default Merged AMD-ATI monster embarks on monopoly-busting

"Walter Mitty" wrote in message ...
"EDM" writes:

"Walter Mitty" wrote in message ...
writes:

Benjamin Gawert wrote:

And the reason is?

1. It's typical Microshaft bloatware.

Like the rest of the OS. .net is nothing special in this regard.

2. It screwed up my desktop, that I spent a couple hours customizing
(Fortunately, uninstalling .Net returned things to normal)

Did it? How?

3. .Net is basically obsolete and a failure. It hasn't received the
widespread acceptance and usage that MS wanted.

Hardly obsolete though.

4. It can be a security risk. See:
http://tinyurl.com/jdom7

As can all web services.

5. There's no reason why it's needed to d/l video drivers.

There obviously is or you wouldnt need it. The question is more why the
hell it *is* needed? Are you sure its not just needed for the
installation? I dont recall it being needed to ftp the driver down ...

In Win2K/XP, .NET is never "needed", except for developers
(e.g. ATI) who're too incompetent, lazy or both to write their
own full drivers.

So its there to facilitate development of drivers? Well, theres the
point. Why is it "lazy" to use the OS services that MS provide? Is it
also lazy to us Direct X API?

That's a ridiculous analogy. Without DX users would lose
the ability to use most any modern sound app, play most
any modern game, and several thousand other applications.
What functionality does .NET provide for a video driver?
Essentially none. Compare what you get with ATI's CCC,
and CP version used with TrayTools. Offhand I can't
think of anything extra you get with CCC.