Old February 7th 19, 09:24 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

Default WTF is this on winfast nf4fsk8aa motherboard, wierd optical spdif?

wrote:
I took some pictures of this plug:

Link to Folder:

http://www.skybuck.org/BlackPlugInOpticalSPDIF/

Link to Pictures (approx 3 megabyte per picture):

http://www.skybuck.org/BlackPlugInOp...riction 1.JPG

http://www.skybuck.org/BlackPlugInOp...riction 2.JPG

http://www.skybuck.org/BlackPlugInOp...riction 3.JPG

http://www.skybuck.org/BlackPlugInOp...riction 4.JPG

Black Plug in Optical SPDIF Port on winfast motherboard video:

https://youtu.be/PtpHfDAXNjk

Creative X-Fi Elite Pro 7.1 Analog vs Realtek Audio 97 optical spdif:

So far I think I prefer the analog sound, it sounds a little bit more smooth... but the optical is probably slightly better for recgonizing vocals... at least this was my experience when I tested it via hdmi on laptop, which had a different audio chip I think, not sure though.

However perhaps the realtek 97 audio chip is of lesser quality... I also recgonized some plopping during switching between audio solutions but that might be normal... so far it does seem to play smooth... but it does require on cpu processing I think so I would not be surprised if during gaming there was more crackling... though I will not be using spdif optical for gaming mostly... cause it cannot do 7.1 for now... only 2 channels available for now but I might experiment with codecs or newer realtek drivers.

Let me know any thoughts you have on experimenting with newer codecs and such... I've heard about spdif pass through and all kinds of things not yet sure about that... but it feels cool to get this fiber optic/red light connection working ! =D So me very happy about that ! =D

And it does prove this is not scam-tech it does really work ! LOL.
Writing this is I wait for the youtube upload =D

I will test optical/spdif and upmixing and 7ch stereo with warcraft frozen throne... I was impressed but it back then when I played it on toshiba laptop... not yet sure if it was the audio chip or simply the receiver causing the perceived better sound quality but soon new gaming/experiment might shine some light on that

Ok analog vs video link should be:

https://youtu.be/oT2wB8PqVtc

Still uploading but this means I can leave you for now and finish this posting ! =D

Enjoy ! =D

Bye,
Skybuck =D

The status on your pictures is:

403 Forbidden
Request forbidden by administrative rules.

SPDIF and TOSLink have a limited number of channels, and
cannot do a really good job of transmitting sound. They do
stereo with a decent number of bits (stereo sound should be
great). There is a second option to transmit four channels,
but with fewer bits per channel. I don't think I've heard
of anyone yet, using the four channel mode.

The transport can transmit AC3, which I'm guessing
is 5.1 mode. That's a compressed mode.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolby_Digital#liba52

http://www.atsc.org/wp-content/uploa...-201212-17.pdf

I haven't heard of a 7.1 for TOSLink.

TOSLink runs at 6Mbit/sec. I don't think there is
any fancy modulation of the light. It's just
on and off.

The attenuation in a TOSLink plastic cable should be
fairly high, and it's not intended for sending a
signal a couple of kilometers like a telecommunications
fiber and transmitter could. The emphasis is on cheapness.
With $1 components and cheap plastic fiber. This does
not affect the results, because it's digital. And as
long as the transmitted bits are not corrupted, they're
"as good on one side of the room, as they are on the other side
of the room".

The fact that AC3 compression is lossy, means
the quality cannot be as good on the receiving end as the
signal was before being compressed. It would be a bit
like what happens with an MP3. If you play back a DVD,
the AC3 can be read off the DVD and sent out the TOSLink
without modification. This means the computer volume
control doesn't work, but, no AC3 license is needed
by the motherboard maker.

The NForce2 MCP-T Southbridge, had a hardware DSP for
doing AC3 compression. If you had a FLAC music selection
with six channels, then you could run that through the
MCP-T and from there, go via SPDIF to your receiver
and receive all six channels. But, the quality of the FLAC
would be degraded by the lossy AC3 compression step. Which
would throw away frequencies in order to stick to the
limited bitrate.

Paul