Old January 29th 19, 11:13 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
John McGaw

Default Time For A New Motherboard?

On 1/29/2019 3:49 PM, tb wrote:
I use Clonezilla Live to back up a PC drive to a portable external HD
with a USB-A cable.

Recently Clonezilla Live has not been able to complete the job...
It basically seems to hang anywhere during the backup process. The
time left to complete the backup shown on the screen increases
continuously and the % of backup already done does not change.

I know that there is nothing wrong with the Clonezilla Live DVD or the
portable external hard drive because I can back up another PC's drive
without a hitch using the same USB-A cable.

My guess is that I have a USB port problem with PC#1 and it might be
time to purchase another motherboard. (The PC is nine years old...)

PS: I have tried using all the USB ports that are present on the PC
with the same results.

What do the experts think of this issue?

There is one other commonality you seem to have overlooked -- those
symptoms can easily be the system's own internal (not the backup) with a
"bad spot" which the backup software just cannot get past (an obscure data
file which hasn't been otherwise accessed in years, for example, would
never be noticed in daily use). It is easy enough to test (and "fix") a
hard drive using a separate program or the old-school inbuilt chkdsk command.