Old January 1st 18, 08:05 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul[_28_]

Default SOCHOX 8GB DDR2 PC2-6400 800Mhz DIMM AMD

Norm X wrote:
Happy New Year,

My old Intel MOBO has accepted many upgrades but is stuck at 4GB RAM. Even
though prohibited, Win10 works reliably on one stick SOCHOX 4GB 667MHz DDR2
AMD, the past couple of years. However, when two such modules are plugged
in, Win10 boots until it panics and flashes a QR code error and shuts down.
Paul has attributed such failure to power supply inadequacies of Intel MOBO
versus AMD.

Still wanting the best that can be achieved with least money, I came across
"SOCHOX 8GB DDR2 PC2-6400 800Mhz DIMM AMD " on eBay. It comes in a two
module 16GB package, while I only need 8GB. At first blush, 800MHz seems
better than 667MHz. Current CPU-Z output says this newer RAM module may be a
good idea.

Comments?

Ebay has a picture.

D9HGN

I got lucky on this one. I found the Micron "FBGA Decoder"
and it gave me the first number. Doing a Micron site search,
the part number could not be found. But a Kontron web page
converted that part number into a config. These are x4 chips.
Verboten. You can see in the Kontron module example, their
module has 18 chips. Yours has 16 and has no parity/ECC chips.

MT47H1G4THM-3:A

Micron DDR2-667, CAS Latency 5,
FY-667A1D4 MT47H1G4THM-3:A Micron 0467E IDT C1-667 FMHS (1Gbx4)*18
15-May-08

OK, so the module has 16 chips arranged as a single rank.

You say it's an "Intel Mobo", but my recollection it, it
had an NVidia chipset on it. And those are cranky to start with.

x4 memories work best with AMD, which in dual channel mode supports
ChipKill ECC protection and correction. Your Ebay modules
are 8 chips per side, 16 total, meaning no parity/ECC chips on board.
An 18 chip module would have ECC. If you had (18) x4 chips and an
AMD motherboard, there would be a better chance of it working.

AMD, for their processors that have the memory interface right
on the processor, they use the same arch for server and desktop.
This means AMD has server features (x4 support) on their desktop
products. You have to check the AMD motherboard manual to make sure.

To make Chipkill (an IBM parity technology) work on AMD, requires
matched modules in dual channel - the 144 bit wide array provides
just enough parity information, to in effect allow the "excess" chip
on the module, to replace any other chip. Chipkill supports up to four
bit errors in the syndrome, so a whole chip can die on an 18 chip
module, and as long as it's dual channel, the memory protection
can correct all the errors.

Intel desktop chipsets at least (with Intel CPU connected), those only
support x8 and x16 memory chips. Driving x4 single rank, probably
violates loading on a few of the control signals.

You're way way out in left field on this one.

Plugging the module in, it probably won't burn.
Will anything else good happen ? Nope.

When NVidia makes a chipset for Intel LGA775, they can barely
make the interfaces work (as their chipsets have historically
been "cranky"). Plugging in an x4 based module ? Ker-plunk. Plop. Etc.
Black screen. An Nvidia desktop chipset can barely holds its pants
up, with x8 chips to use. Owners of those, quite often have
to turn the memory clock down, to get a semblance of stability.

*******

If that really is your NVidia chipset board, you should
be pretty happy... when it works. Taunting it with "overweight"
memory products ? Yikes.

Paul