Old April 28th 08, 02:09 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
[email protected]

Default Hibernate and suspend simply not supported on GA-K8N Pro?

On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 16:44:52 -0700, Andy wrote:

:All you should have to do is uninstall the old graphics driver,
:reboot, then install the new graphics driver, and reboot again.

OK, so I downloaded the latest nVidia WHQL driver, the one you linked me
to today ( 169.21_forceware_winxp_32bit_english_whql.exe ) and I was
about to do as you say above when I thought I'd continue what I was
doing earlier in the day before I took a break from all this -- I had
done a google on "standby greyed out" and got lots of hits. On the
second Google page was this one:

http://forums.windrivers.com/showthread.php?t=81547

A guy suggested the fellow having the problem do an Everest Home Edition
report and paste it in a post. Having the program already installed, I
did a report and started searching through it for a clue. I left off at
around 25% into the long report. Just now, I decided to look further
into the report before uninstalling my display driver and installing the
new one. I noticed this about my rather newish 500 GB SATA HD:

[ SAMSUNG HD501LJ (S0MUJ1PP310938) ]

ATA Device Properties:
Model ID SAMSUNG HD501LJ
Serial Number S0MUJ1PP310938
Revision CR100-10
Parameters 969021 cylinders, 16 heads, 63
sectors per track, 554 bytes per sector
LBA Sectors 976773168
Buffer 16 MB (Dual Ported, Read Ahead)
Multiple Sectors 16
ECC Bytes 4
Max. PIO Transfer Mode PIO 4
Max. UDMA Transfer Mode UDMA 6 (ATA-133)
Active UDMA Transfer Mode UDMA 5 (ATA-100)
Unformatted Capacity 516064 MB

ATA Device Features:
SMART Supported
Security Mode Supported
Power Management Supported
Advanced Power Management Not Supported
Write Cache Supported
Host Protected Area Supported
Power-Up In Standby Not Supported
Automatic Acoustic Management Supported
48-bit LBA Supported
Device Configuration Overlay Supported

ATA Device Manufacturer:
Company Name Samsung
Product Information
http://www.samsung.com/Products/HardDiskDrive/index.htm
- - - -
In particular, I noticed where it said:

Advanced Power Management Not Supported
....and...
Power-Up In Standby Not Supported

So, I figuring it was another wild goose chase (I've been doing them all
weekend trying to resolve this!), I went into the BIOS and disabled SATA
HD support. Upon rebooting, my 500 GB SATA drive is no longer seen, but
my Standby and Hibernate are suddenly ENABLED!

I find this amazing. SATA HD's are supposed to be an advance, a relative
newcomer in the PC storage scene, and installing one has disabled my
ACPI! I wonder if there is a workaround? Maybe if I get an SATA
controller card?? Or maybe if I get a different SATA HD?

Dan
:
:On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 13:57:02 GMT, Dan Musicant )
:wrote:
:
:On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 15:46:34 -0700, Andy wrote:
:
::On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 19:41:47 -0700, Dan Musicant )
::wrote:
::
::Under Power Management in the BIOS (I have the latest BIOS loaded, F14),
::I can choose S1 or S3 type suspend. I set the power button to require 4+
::second press to turn off, otherwise go into the selected suspend mode.
::
::However, in Windows XP, Control Panel, Power Options, there's no mention
::of suspend. I'm only given the option of powering off immediately when
::pressing the power button or do nothing or being asked what to do. When
::asked, I can only Turn Off or Restart. Standby is greyed out. Why is it
::greyed out? Windows help says the options in Power Options will reflect
::what's supported by the motherboard, i.e. the BIOS. I don't see a
::setting in the BIOS to enable it. It's already set up in BIOS.
::
::In order for standby to work, you have to install the Windows XP
::driver for the video card.
:
:After removing my display adapter and rebooting, I tried to install that
:driver I mentioned in my last post ( 162.73_quadro_winxp2k_english.exe),
:but a message eventually came up that it couldn't support the
:hardware/software (don't recall the exact wording) and the installation
:terminated. So, I looked around in my downloads folder and found another
:nvidia driver, which indicated XP and Windows 2000 support in the file
:name: 66.93_win2kxp_international.exe, and my notes indicate this is a
:WHQL approved driver. I installed it instead, and the ACPI support
:appears to have NOT changed.
:
:Under Computer in Device Manager it says:
:
:ACPI Uniprocessor PC
:
:I presume that means that XP install determined that the system is
:capable of ACPI support and that it was enabled. However, when I shut
:down the system in Task Manager the first two items are greyed out:
:
:Stand By (greyed out)
:Hibernate (greyed out)
:Turn Off
:Restart
:Log Off my name
:Switch User
:
:
:I'm wondering if I should try another XP installation, first removing
:all my PCI cards.
:
:I have the latest BIOS installed for my motherboard, F14.
:
:Today being Sunday, I will wait until tomorrow before calling Gigabyte
:support.
:
:** Posted from http://www.teranews.com **