Old July 5th 15, 09:18 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,comp.mobile.android
Frank Slootweg

Default Android for my Acer Aspire One

Theo Markettos wrote:
Norm X wrote:
Readers comments on installing Android on my x86 Acer netbook are most
welcome. I know that x86 versions of Android are out there but I am
hoping for some high numbers like KitKat 4.4, or whatever.

Modern Android ( 4.0) requires a GPU else things are very very slow. I
don't know what GPU you have, but I imagine the drivers are nonexistent
or terrible.

Android is also not terribly fun without a touchscreen.

It's possibly someone has cooked up a build of Android for your particular
machine, but otherwise I wouldn't expect a smooth experience with a generic
x86 Android.

I'd stick with a lightweight distro of Linux, which is more likely to be
usable on your hardware.

Exactly! Norm X's Acer Aspire One (AAO) probably came with such a
lightweight distro of Linux, namely 'Linpus', a (Red Hat) Fedora
derivative, at least that's what my AAO had. It 'even' came with a
re-install CD. The AAO doesn't have a CD/DVD drive, but it shouldn't be
too hard to convert the CD to a bootable image on a USB memory-stick.

Anyway, Android sucks, there's no reason to infest a perfectly good
netbook with it! :-)