Old September 30th 03, 01:12 AM
Ancra

On 29 Sep 2003 15:29:57 GMT, (Pccomputerdr)
wrote:

Unless a new version of 64-bit operating system gets released, you will not see
performance improvement from any 64 bit cpu.

After reading hundreds of benchmarks, I think it's fairly safe to say
that Athlon64FX and Athlon64 are "overall" the worlds fastest "32-bit"
x86 cpus, Operating with 32-bit OS and 32-bit app benchmarks.
It's not faster because it's 64-bit, it's faster because it's AMD's
new cpu-core, the K8.
(P4 is still competitive on it's strong sides, like mediaencoding)

Remember, you're not exactly paying more for these than 'other' fast
32-bit cpus.

As a matter of fact, 64 bit cpu goes into emulation mode to run 32-bit
applications, and such emulation slows down the process to run any 32-bit
application.

More nonsens, excuse me. Only Intels megadisaster, the 'Itanic, must
run 32-bit apps with emulation. Since this 300 million transistor
fiasco isn't particular fast even in native 64-bit mode, it's totally
irrelevant anyway. With much, much cheaper, and at least equally fast
Opterons, AthlonFX and G5 on the market, you frankly have to be a
complete idiot to buy Intel 64-bit.

AMDs K8 cpus run both 32-bit and 64-bit native.

There is a long way to go for a 64-bit cpu platform. In terms of operating
system compatibility, Microsoft has to start building 64-bit operating system
from scratch. There is a 64-bit version of XP that Microsoft is currently
working on, but for now, the operating system is very unreliable.

Linux is ported. As for MS, WinXP has basicly been ported to 64-bit
for quite while now. Work right now, involves doing a version for the
Athlon64/Opteron. A beta version exists. I wouldn't trust you as a
judge as to how reliable it is. Not considering your other claims.

As for games
not specifically written for 64-bit cpu, forget it! It will be worse than
running emulated windows operating system on Mac. You can't play emulated games
with slow performance. No matter how superior the 64-bit cpu might be, the
emulated games will be slow. Nothing is like the real thing.

More nonsens. On the contrary, the Athlon64s have already proven
themselves to be superlatively fast on 32-bit games _in_particular_!
Rule seem to be, newer game, bigger advantage.

If you're interested in tons and tons of _32-bit_benchmarks_ for the
Athlon64, Athlon64FX and Opteron, please visit:

http://www.extremetech.com
http://www.anandtech.com
http://www.tomshardware.com
http://hardocp.com
http://www.aceshardware.com
http://www.tech-report.com

One shouldn't expect too much performance gain from going to 64-bit
from 32-bit. There will be some gain, but not much, not at all like
the 500% (?) that was accomplished going from 16-bit to 32-bit.
Then we went from a paged memory model to a linear. This time we stay
linear. The point of 64-bit is the larger memoryspace. To do things
that is not possible with 32-bit.

ancra