Old November 3rd 03, 06:12 AM
Kevin

Bad Processor posssibly...Or you fan has died...Is it a retail processor?If
so it has a 3 year warranty...Give Intel a call...

wrote:

Hi,

A built a computer a few months ago with a 2.4 GHz P4 and a D856PERL
motherboard. I installed XP Pro on it. It ran through the Summer
without a hitch. The other day, it shut itself down because of a
"thermal event." I installed two more case fans and today it was
working just fine until, while I was scanning in some work, it wouldn't
recognize the scanner. It then shut itself down. Now when I try to
turn it on, there is no video, there isn't any A: drive search, there
ain't nothin. The fans just hum away and the power is on. Then after a
couple of minutes of that, it shuts off and when I try to power it up
again, it shuts itself off immediately.

Any thoughts on how to troubleshoot this puppy?

TIA for any suggestions.

Cheers!

Paul