Old March 17th 08, 03:29 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
GMAN[_4_]

Default LCD larger size -- what for ??

In article , Phil wrote:

Benjamin Gawert wrote:
* Michael Pachta:

I don't own a LCD monitor, so here's my current knowledge:
As far as I know LCD monitors have a fixed screen resolution. Lower
resolutions can be obtained by extrapolation (interpolation?),

interpolation (extrapolation is something different)

which
makes the graphics worse. I once saw this at a friend's.

So, if I buy a large monitor, say 22", I need to have a good graphics
card that is capable of displaying the given resolution fast enough.
Otherwise I would have to switch to a lower resolution which would
result in bad graphics.

Or am I wrong here?

No, basically you're right. However, the effects of interpolation was
much worse with the first generation of displays (usually 15" and 17"
displays with 1024x768 or 1280x1024) on which lower resolutions such
like 800x600 or 640x480 look really bad. But on modern high resolution
displays with 1440x900, 1680x1050 or 1920x1200 lower resolutions usually
don't look as bad as they did on the first generation displays.

Benjamin

"don't look as bad as they did on the first generation displays" - is
just as bad !!!
Any current LCD monitor is look as bad as the next one unless you run
game / windows at its native (and only) resolution - even in 2d Window
mode.

Exactly, why would i run my desktop in anything other than 1920x1200 if i have
that resolution available to me natively?

Now, here is a relationship that I can not understand: you spend a
bunch of money to get a nice 24" LCD; unless you spend another big
chunk of money to upgrade to to top of the line video card and faster
CPU inorder to play game (this is a game discussion group so I would
use game as sample, not a Windows 2d application group) some what
acceptable at its native resolution. Other wise, you would have to
lower the resolution and get a ****ty image. Now, why spend extra
money to get the big screen but then playing game at a lower
resolution? What have you gain in game playing wise ?

Many video cards from the last 2 or 3 years will handle 1920x1200 without even
breaking a sweat. Most of the $100 range of cards will do.

I always run the games i have in native mode. UT3 in 1920x1200 is , well
unreal!!!!