Old January 11th 05, 12:55 AM
John Weiss

"Midnight Moocher" wrote...

I've narrowed down my options to a socket 754 and the 939 (Winchester, I
believe).
My main concern is upgrade options in the future (whilst on a tight budget).

1. Would I be correct in saying that the 754 socket won't be around for long,
and therefore it would better buying the slowest 939 I can get my hands on
(such as the 3000+ or possibly the 3200+)?

If you plan on upgrading without upgrading the MoBo, yes. However, you might
check to see if the MoBo will support all versions of the S939 A64, including
the FX series. If you're going upward from a 3000+ or 3200+, there's probably
little to be gained without going to an FX.

2. Would I also be correct in saying the 939 socket should be around long
enough to see around double the speed the 3000+ is capable of?

Not necessarily... Currently AMD is working on dual-core CPUs and smaller
circuit traces. While it is entirely possible they will use S939, they may not
work in a current MoBo.

3. If I went with 754 socket, I would have to buy a new motherboard as well as
new processor to upgrade in the future to the 939 right?

Yes.