Old July 31st 09, 07:30 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation3,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Tim O[_3_]

Default Id / John Carmack announces the PS3 version of RAGE will run at only 20-to-30fps, breaking promise of all versions running at 60fps. Meanwhile the Xbox 360 version still runs at 60fps

On Thu, 30 Jul 2009 11:48:19 -0700 (PDT), Air Raid
wrote:

The Xbox 360 and PC versions of id's Rage sport higher framerates than
the PlayStation 3 version, the latest issue of Edge magazine reveals.

I realize this post is intended to start a flame war, and as a fan of
PC gaming, I often try to wind up the console players, but lets take a
serious look at the issue.

Rage was programmed by id, traditionally a PC game company.
The XBox360 shares so much architecture with the PC, that it's not
surprising an id game would run well on it.

The few technical articles I've read about the PS3 seem to infer that
its an extremely powerful console, but that power is difficult to
exploit. Sony built something great, but also very proprietary. If you
look at their technology through the years, that is very typical Sony.
For programmers that aren't completely immersed in PS3 architecture,
making a port must be very difficult.