Old January 2nd 05, 01:37 AM
Andy

Try updating the BIOS:
http://www.asus.com/support/download/item.aspx?ModelName=P2L97&Type=Latest
FileName lx2i1009.zip Version 1009 Date 1999/11/05
Description P2L97 BIOS 1009
Fix Microsoft Pre-OS test failure.
Support IDE hard disk larger than 32G bytes.
Fix Russian Y2K test program failed.
Revise Y2K patch.
Fix boot failure with some boot managers installed.
Update Symbios BIOS to Rev 4.12.
No system node report for LPT when it is Setup disabled. (LPT disable
in Windows when it is Setup disabled)
Upgrade microcode update for Celeron mA0 stepping (CPUID=660) to
revision 0A.
Microcode update upgrade for PII 653, 672, and 673. 653: 00A-010;
672: 00B-00C; 673: 007-00A.
Fix serial port failure running Windows 2000.
Add keyboard wakeup item with three choices of key combinations.
Fix FDD Write Protect function failed with (format a: /u) command.

On 1 Jan 2005 08:41:03 -0800, (goolu) wrote:

Hi,

I have one ASUS P2L97 motherboard installed with 266MHz PII CPU. When
I tried to boot it up with one HD with Windows 2000 installed. I got
below message :

Award Modular BIOS v.4.51PG

ASUS P2L97 ACPI BIOS Revision 1001
Award Plug and Play BIOS Extension v1.0A

Trend ChipAwayVirus(R) On Board

Detecting HDD Primary Master ... [Press F4 to skip]

Boot sequence halted here. However, I can boot from that HD when it
was attached to another Magic Pro PC.

To verify the problem wasn't caused by IDE cable, I swapped the
original IDE cable with that connecting secondary IDE channel (where
CD-RW being connected). The IDE cable is working because BIOS can
detect CD-RW with it. Still booting halted at above message.

I want to ask why my motherboard can't detect the HD ? Any further
testing can be conducted to find out problem source ?