Old July 21st 04, 09:17 PM
Hunt

Default Recommendations on external HDD for laptop

I'm interested in adding an external HDD to my laptop. I've USB and Firewire
400 (4 pin) connections available. Cost is not a big issue, though I don't
print money with Photoshop. I'm looking for something in the 250GB+ range.
I've heard some negative thoughts on Maxtor and LaCie, but have no experience
with either. The biggest concern with both was lack of a cooling fan. I often
work in some fairly hot areas, and this HDD would be to d-l digital images in
the field, so cooling is a concern.

I'd appreciate any thoughts on mfg's and models, and experiences. The ability
for dual (USP/Firewire) is a plus, as I will also use the device with my
workstations and sometimes the Firewire port is in use. I've heard that
Firewire is faster, and my files will be in 15-30MB range.

TIA for thoughts, suggestions, experiences,
Hunt