Old February 20th 05, 09:36 AM
Anton Ertl

Yeechang Lee writes:
dg wrote:
While everything is still fresh in your mind, make sure you label
the drives so you are absolutely sure which drive is which.

This does concern me. How the heck do I tell them apart, even now? How
di I figure out which drive is sda, which is sdb, which is sdc, etc.,
etc.? Advice is appreciated.

One way is to disconnect them one by one, and see which drive is
missing in the list (unless you want to test the md driver's
reconstruction abilities, you should be doing this with a kernel that
does not have an md driver, probably booting from CD). You can also
use that method when a drive fails (but then its even more important
that the kernel does not have an md driver).

Another way is to just look which ports on the cards connect with
which drives. They are typically marked on the card and/or in the
manual with IDE0, IDE1, etc. You also have to find out which card is
which. There may be a method to do this through the PCI IDs, but I
would go for the disconnection method for that.

Followups set to comp.os.linux.hardware (because I read that, csiphs
would probably be more appropriate).

- anton
Most things have to be believed to be seen