Old June 26th 15, 05:44 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
(PeteCresswell)

Default Unable To Get Boot Menu

Per Paul:
If you're using Windows 8, a "shutdown" actually keeps
things in "hibernate" state. And in "hibernate" state,
the popup boot menu is disabled, and the system restores
from hibernation instead.

You need to do a "complete shutdown" from Windows 8,
in order for the motherboard BIOS boot to behave
in the legacy (expected) way.

I do this on some of my systems. In a Command Prompt
window, elevated with "Run As Administrator" I do

powercfg -h off

This one was on Windows 7 - but it seemed like it was acting that way
because it kept ignoring F 12 and going right to Windows' "Last shutdown
was abnormal, what do you want to do?" menu.

I thought something like the "complete shutdown" thing might be a player
so I did try a few alternatives - including pulling the plug and
explicitly clicking "Shutdown"

Thanks for the powercfg syntax.... I will try that next time around.
--
Pete Cresswell