Old October 2nd 03, 05:55 PM
Howard

Default RAID and non-RAID combination

I am getting an 8KNXP motherboard which has the Intel ICH5R
chip/controller as well as the SIL3112 chip/controller. I was
wondering if one was able to use 1 of the two chips to run 2 HD in a
non-RAID situation and set the other chip to run 2 RAID 0 drives.
Looking at the manual for the board and BIOS (I have ordered but not
yet received the board and downloaded the manual) it seems like the
BIOS has only one SATA RAID enable or disable function. Does that
mean that one can not do what I propose above?? If not, does that
mean that with SATA RAID enabled and 4 HD you need to have either a
RAID 0/1 array or two RAID 0 arrays?? If one can not have two
non-RAID and two RAID SATA drives can you have 2 PATA non-RAID drives
in combination with a SATA RAID 0 array? This is a bit confusing and
I can't seem to ferret it out with the downloaded motherboard manual
that I have and am trying to figure out what HD to purchase for the
system I want to build.

Thanks.
Howard