Old November 11th 15, 03:30 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Norm X

Default Flashing the BIOS

Hi,

I'd like to thank the activists here for all the help. Last year, I
tried to upgrade the my BIOS. Unbeknownst to me at the time, the 3V CMOS
battery was dead. I ran into all sorts of problems, like BIOS checksum
errors. I was happy to downgrade, so I could continue using my 3 drive
RAID 0 storage array, that needs to be setup in the CMOS BIOS program.
This year with a good battery, flashing an upgrade to the BIOS went
smoothly, no errors. In a few days when my heart settles down, I will
replace the dual core with a (presumably good) used quad core CPU.

Who would have imagined that a tiny mercury battery would be important?