Old October 8th 03, 03:39 PM
Robert Brown

Default Lost Hard Disk

I've just finished cleaning the 'Microsoft September Update' virus from my
PC. Due to this and an accumulation of 2+ years of junk on the hard disk I
decided to completely re-format the disk and re-install my WIN98SE OS and
all software.
When I tried to issue the 'FORMAT C: /s' command in a DOS mode it failed,
with a message 'not enough memory'. I checked the BIOS - there is no memory
problem, but neither is there a hard disk shown. My IBM ATA100 30GB disk
has vanished ! However WIN98 and all programs are still working just fine
!!
The main storage device is now shown as a Plextor CDRW ROM unit, and the
bootable devices show 'none' against IDE Hard Disk. I've tried flashing a
copy of V1008 BIOS in lieu of the existing copy of the same version - no
change.

Can anyone help find my lost drive ??

SYSTEM
Mainboard - ASUS A7V KT133 with embedded PROMISE ATA100 controller
Processor - Athlon Thunderbird 1GHZ
Memory - 256+128 MB PC133 DRAM
Guillimot Prophet II MX video
IBM 30GB Hard disk 2MB cache 7200RPM