Old June 18th 04, 06:08 PM
Markeau

did they both have the same acoustic management settings
enabled/disabled?

luke wrote:
I have many Hard drives. A few WD JB's, alot of Maxtor DiamondMax
Plus 8MB cache drives of all sizes for video storage. I recently got
one of the Maxtor Maxline Plus II 250GB 7200rpm 8MB cache drives
http://tinyurl.com/3cref . I figured it would be similiar to the
Diamond Max drives, just larger. I was wrong.

I haven't done any benchmarks to test speed or anything like that,
but what strikes me about this drive is that it makes no noise
whatsoever!!!

The DiamondMax Plus drives are find idle but become very noisy when
reading/writing(scratchy, scratchy, seek seek and do get on ones
nerves after a while. I hooked up my DiamondMax 200GB drive and the
Maxline 250GB drive, both 8MB cache 7200rpm in the to my machine and
just did some open air tests reading and writing on both. It's
amazing that one drive can be so much liuder than the other.
Performing the exact same transfer the Maxline drive hardly made a
sound, I had to check if it was actually working and that I wasn't
copying to another drive. And I had it about 1 foot away from me.

I've just built my new system this week around a Diamond Max 200GB
drive, I'm now wishing I'd have installed XP on the Maxline. Anyone
else have one of these drives?