Old June 18th 04, 05:32 PM
luke

Default Maxtor Maxline Plus II 250GB, WOW

I have many Hard drives. A few WD JB's, alot of Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 8MB
cache drives of all sizes for video storage. I recently got one of the
Maxtor Maxline Plus II 250GB 7200rpm 8MB cache drives
http://tinyurl.com/3cref . I figured it would be similiar to the Diamond Max
drives, just larger. I was wrong.

I haven't done any benchmarks to test speed or anything like that, but what
strikes me about this drive is that it makes no noise whatsoever!!!

The DiamondMax Plus drives are find idle but become very noisy when
reading/writing(scratchy, scratchy, seek seek and do get on ones nerves
after a while. I hooked up my DiamondMax 200GB drive and the Maxline 250GB
drive, both 8MB cache 7200rpm in the to my machine and just did some open
air tests reading and writing on both. It's amazing that one drive can be so
much liuder than the other. Performing the exact same transfer the Maxline
drive hardly made a sound, I had to check if it was actually working and
that I wasn't copying to another drive. And I had it about 1 foot away from
me.

I've just built my new system this week around a Diamond Max 200GB drive,
I'm now wishing I'd have installed XP on the Maxline. Anyone else have one
of these drives?