Old January 17th 10, 04:15 PM posted to comp.sys.laptops,comp.hardware,comp.periphs.scsi,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware
BillW50

Default What kind of 2.5" HD adapter do I need?

In ,
Roger Mills typed on Sun, 17 Jan 2010 15:53:01 -0000:
BillW50 wrote:

In ,
Roger Mills typed on Sun, 17 Jan 2010 10:34:30 -0000:
[You'll need to create a bootable system on a floppy (or other
bootable media recognised by the laptop's BIOS) containing PC-DOS,
Ghost.exe and support for a network connection].

What version of Ghost are you running that runs under DOS? As all
later versions runs under Windows or Windows PE (aka BartPE or WinPE)
and are known as Ghost32. Does Ghost for DOS understand NTFS formats?

I'm running Norton Ghost 2003 - and, yes, it understands NTFS. You
can run some functions under Windows, but have to resort to a version
running from a bootable DOS device to make an image of a system disk
[1]. If you back up to another machine over a network, the other
machine can be running Windows.
[I'm not quite sure how you would clone a *live* Windows system, 'cos
you'd be aiming at a moving target!]

[1] You create the bootable system from within the Windows version,
specifiying what support you need for USB, Firewire or network
devices so that it includes the required drivers.

Oh so you have both Ghost.exe and Ghost32.exe with Ghost 2003, right?

The trick to clone a live Windows is sometimes done through Windows VSS
(services). Sometimes third party backup programs use their own version
of the service.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_Copy

I have used many different backup programs like Acronis True Image and
Paragon. And when they work, they work well. But they don't work in all
conditions especially when restoring. Ghost is the only one that has
worked under all conditions so far. The only time Ghost messed up for me
was for Linux. But that could have been my fault for not cloning all
partitions.

I don't recall which version of Ghost started to need .NET2, but it was
somewhere around 2003 I believe. But Ghost.exe and Ghost32.exe don't
obviously. ;-)

--
Bill
Gateway M465e ('06 era) - Windows XP SP3