Old February 11th 04, 04:38 AM
kony

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 01:02:53 -0000, "Muttly" wrote:

Hey all.
My PSU (I can't remember the make or model, but its 550w) has 2 fans. 1
points of the case, the other is inside the case pointing either up or down,
both fans are internal to the psu. My questions is which way should I have
the inside fan pointing? If it points up its got bout 4cm clearence between
it and the top of the case. If it points down its right over my cpu. For
better cooling which way do you think it should be pointing? If theres a
site or something that will give a good reason as to which way, a link would
be great. Better yet if someone has experience as to which way is best
that'd be great 2.
Thanks.
Martin.

The fan should be facing down, blowing up, into the power supply.

This results in more air movement across the middle, more of the upper
left portion of the motherboard where heat-producing components like the
CPU, northbridge, and power regulation circuitry are located. There is no
need to move any air in-between the top of the power supply and the top of
the case, since there isn't anything there that produces heat. There are
exceptions, full tower cases that have hard drives mounted above the power
supply, but such cases have air vents or more fan mounts above the power
supply too, so the 2nd power supply fan should still be facing downwards.