Old September 15th 06, 11:05 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.acer
raider

Default Booting USB on Acer Aspire 3003wlmi?

Our unacquainted friend 'Ron Krebs' enlightened us thusly:

Nope, and Acer doesn't want you to do this because of security issues and
licensing issues with MS.

MS? Well i do not use Redmond software, Linux only mate.
And btw it's my hardware so sorry but I don't care what Acer wants.

Furthermore, some flash drives aren't even
recognized as bootable by the BIOS even if they are formatted that way.

I need to boot a USB2-HDD, and Linux only.

have a Corsair Voyager and these are NOT recognized by Acer Notebooks as
bootable. However, other USB flash drives are. The Transcend Jetflash I
just got is recognized and WILL boot into a PE as long as the USB boot
devices are listed higher in priority than either the HDD or the DVD.

I can choos only between CDROM and HDD.

On
my 5672 I can also enable the boot menu thru the BIOS so that I have the
option during POST to select any bootable drive (via F12).

I got it too, but there is no USB listed. So i want to enable it in BIOS.
I know it's there.

The BIOSes on
notebooks have always been notoriously skimpy and the mfg-ers will not
change that despite the pleading by its customers. There are almost NO
meaningful user configurable options in notebook BIOS'.

I know. So i'm just asking if someone has already hacked the BIOS of that
particullar laptop so i don't have to hack it myself.

Thx mate anyway.

--
/raider
realname (rot-13): wna gvttl