Old March 22nd 11, 11:06 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Paul

Default Passive cooling, what card

Jim wrote:
"Paul" wrote in message
Jim wrote:
I'm loosing the will to live given this new bit of sh1t ATI/AMD (4350)
have given me, so I'm looking to move to nvidia, all I need is the
following, min 512mb passive cooling, tv out (S-VHS, not hdmi) and pcie,
and hopefully a bit of software that does not make getting tv out to work
a nightmare, does anyone have any suggestions please, and i don't care if
it's 2nd hand just want something to work.

TIA

Before you rush off and buy another card, have a look around first.

http://www.sevenforums.com/graphic-c...rs-tv-out.html

I don't know what mode you will be using, but there is a link here with
details.

"Full Screen Video Mirror option is not present in the NVIDIA Forceware
display properties"
https://nvidia.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/...ted=1169076830

Does that cover using a TV as the only monitor ? I don't know.

*******

If you want to spend more money, there is always a converter box.
I went looking here, because they have customer reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/HDMI-Composite...ref=pd_sim_e_1

"The image converted is not crystal clear nor crispy sharp, but
nothing that would ruin your day."

A Canadian supplier claimed to carry this, but it was out of stock.

http://www.lenkeng.net/Html/Product/...Converter.html

*******

You can try the advanced search box here, then select the "TV-Out" option
you want, and see what kind of cards are available. The selection isn't
that good.

http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCateg...cs-Video-Cards

I generally like to see the manufacturer include video cables, as some
kind of proof the video might work. No cables for TV on this one.

HTH,
Paul

Jesus what is wrong with these companies, all i want is to be able to watch
simple video files from my pc to my old crt tv, yet it seems i want the
impossible

I think you can thank Hollywood for this.

I've had Composite output running on some of my older systems, and the TV
just wasn't very good (the weak link). So far, using the stuff I own, I got
my best results using a Radio Shack modulator - which means take the working
Composite signal, run it into the Radio Shack modulator, run a 75 ohm coax to
the RF input on the TV, and tune the TV to channel 3 or channel 4. I actually get a
better picture that way, than straight composite. Composite really sucks, as
far as I'm concerned. I haven't run into many people who have as much trouble
with this, as I do.

Paul