Old July 23rd 04, 09:16 AM
Franc Zabkar

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 21:10:11 +0100, "Peter Hucker"
put finger to keyboard and composed:

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 06:02:25 +1000, Franc Zabkar wrote:

However, I have heard of an electrician in the
navy who used to locate fused circuits by running two fingers down a
bank of fuses until he felt a bite.

Not too bad as the current is limited by the appliances. Mind you on a big ship.....

No, the current is/was limited by the fuse. That's why it blew. ;-) I
think the procedure is not as dangerous as it may first appear for two
reasons. Firstly, I doubt whether you are likely to find a good ground
on a ship. Secondly, the current would flow from one finger tip to the
other finger tip, not directly through the heart.

And then there's my former
employer who liked to demonstrate his faith in a TV's protection
circuits by holding on to the 25kV anode as he powered on the set.
AFAIK he's still with us.

I didn't know they had protection circuits for that - is that to prevent the flyback from exploding in case of a short?

Did he feeel anything or did it take a bit to cut out?

The CRT beam current is limited to about 1mA by an ABL circuit. The
TV's power supply may also hiccup when the FBT is placed under
excessive load. Both protection mechanisms are very fast acting.

- Franc Zabkar