Old February 9th 04, 12:07 PM
Asestar

Apart from "why bother?", I'd suggest either Radeon7500 OR Gf2pro/ultra.
Both with 64megs. Go with the cheapest you find of them.

Don't think about ti4200. With this cpu, you won't use the power of gf4,
heck you'd be lucky to even fully use power of gf2 ultra or r7500.

"R. Asby Dragon" wrote in message
Yup; I know "why bother"; but ....

(email reply is "ub*underscore*never" with the squirrely thingy
between"yahoo dot com", no quotes or stars)

It's still my prime machine; the o/c'ed "gamerbox" Barton K7N2L
with the 9700Pro and the goodies is great-- but I still go back to
this one for most real work .

Specs on this box:
Epox MVP3G2C w/1mb L2 (L3 with the K6/III +);
2X AGP at 3.3 volts.
512 mb PC100 SDRAM
K6/III-450+ at 5x112 at 1.8vcc
W98SE; current VIA 4in1 pack etc.

It's rock-solid with this minor overclock (remember it's a {+}
laptop K6 !), the limit is the 2940 SCSI card. The Epox has the
"good AGP power",

Present vidcard is an ATI RagePro 128 w/16 megs. I'd like to bump it
up to 'best bang for buck" . I'd like to go with at least 64 megs
for some gaming; but I know I'm not going to do HL2 on this beast
g .

I've had a 32m TNT2 Ultra in this machine once; looked great but
the hasslefactor of getting a TNT2 to work on a VIA MVP board is not
nice, and it gets worse when you try to update drivers. When it
worked; it would run Serious Sam but not at max!

I've been away from the "vidcard wars" for a while; missed a lot of
the info .

I've been googling both the web and newsgroups; looks like it's
possible to go up to a decent low(now) end card in either ATI or
NVidia flavors. I just have to make sure the card's 2X/3.3 volt.

ATI--looks like I can go up to a 2x/4x rated version of the 9200 or
lower version.
Nvidia -- Same ; possibly up to a TI 4600 or lower.

Anybody have any "good history" on similar vidcards on an MVP3 mobo
??

I'm also interested in buying; if you've got one sitting around..