Old February 8th 04, 11:20 PM
chris

"R. Asby Dragon" wrote in message
Yup; I know "why bother"; but ....

(email reply is "ub*underscore*never" with the squirrely thingy
between"yahoo dot com", no quotes or stars)

It's still my prime machine; the o/c'ed "gamerbox" Barton K7N2L
with the 9700Pro and the goodies is great-- but I still go back to
this one for most real work .

Specs on this box:
Epox MVP3G2C w/1mb L2 (L3 with the K6/III +);
2X AGP at 3.3 volts.
512 mb PC100 SDRAM
K6/III-450+ at 5x112 at 1.8vcc
W98SE; current VIA 4in1 pack etc.

It's rock-solid with this minor overclock (remember it's a {+}
laptop K6 !), the limit is the 2940 SCSI card. The Epox has the
"good AGP power",

Present vidcard is an ATI RagePro 128 w/16 megs. I'd like to bump it
up to 'best bang for buck" . I'd like to go with at least 64 megs
for some gaming; but I know I'm not going to do HL2 on this beast
g .

I've had a 32m TNT2 Ultra in this machine once; looked great but
the hasslefactor of getting a TNT2 to work on a VIA MVP board is not
nice, and it gets worse when you try to update drivers. When it
worked; it would run Serious Sam but not at max!

I've been away from the "vidcard wars" for a while; missed a lot of
the info .

I've been googling both the web and newsgroups; looks like it's
possible to go up to a decent low(now) end card in either ATI or
NVidia flavors. I just have to make sure the card's 2X/3.3 volt.

ATI--looks like I can go up to a 2x/4x rated version of the 9200 or
lower version.
Nvidia -- Same ; possibly up to a TI 4600 or lower.

Anybody have any "good history" on similar vidcards on an MVP3 mobo
??

I'm also interested in buying; if you've got one sitting around..

A gf2 ultra sound like your cuppa tea, or a gf4mx440

look on ebay

chris