Old November 6th 08, 12:07 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.winsock.programming,comp.protocols.tcp-ip
Skybuck Flying[_2_]

Default Red Alert 3 has problems with multiple IP's and Hamachi.

Hello,

Hosting and joining games works bad in Red Alert 3 especially for computers
that have multiple IP addresses, or networks like hamachi where there is
possibly lots of packet loss.

Symptoms a

1. Not being able to host games.
2. Not being able to join games.
3. Getting kicked out of games.
4. Players appearing and disappearing in the game lobby.
5. CD-Key in use... the host still thinks you are in the game so your
conflicting with your own cd key.
6. Connection timed out message.

All six are because of faulty network code in the game.

This is something you should know before you pirate this game, or buy this
game...

I took a quick look at EA Forums and the info from the patches, it seems
people are aware of these problems... it seems these problems are not only
related to pirated copies... the retail/sold copies have the same problem.

Some questions:

1. Is it conceiled incompetence ? or
2. Is it conceiled deliberate ?

The most interesting question is:

3. Will it ever be fixed ?

For me it's kind of a problem... I do want to play this game (but slowly
losing interest)... but mostly against other people so I can beat them up

But if the game is not working properly... then people can't really train
against each other... ofcourse they could play skirmisch... but what's the
point they might wonder if the game is not working properly.

Another problem is that people don't believe there is actually a bug in the
game code. They also don't understand the problem... so telling them quick
work arounds is pretty useless... the average player doesn't understand
these kinds of problems/flaws in the internet protocol and the windows stack
and software in general. This is not the first time I have seen software
with these kinds of problems. Civilization 3 Conquest for example had more
or less the same kind of networking problems for computers with multiple IP
addresses.

A good programmer can program around it and solve it...

But apperently the programmer for Red Alert 3 couldn't or wouldn't...
shame for such a great game.

What can you do as a gamer that wants to play LAN games over for example
Hamachi ?

Return your product ! Demand your money back !

Tell them it's faulty... tell them I said so

If they don't believe that, tell them to shove it up their asses... because
not only did I tell them to do that.. but you also saw the misery yourself !

Finally a word for the pirates out there... don't give up on this game just
yet... even without the source code for the game I do believe there are
possible ways around it that will work better than hamachi...

Creating such a tool/work around will require some time... I for one am not
getting payed for it... so I feel little for making this tool... kinda sucks
if I have to clean up the dirty mess in this way...

So for now I am taking it easy... being lazy.. and waiting to see what will
happen

Bye,
Skybuck =D