Old January 17th 04, 11:56 PM
The Black Wibble

"Bobby" wrote in message ...
They do support dx9, but unless the software makes use of the extra
functionality dx9 provides then it won't improve system performance.

Cheers Tony. I presume Office 2003 uses the latest version of DirectX?

Ha! Not that it matters. :-) As far as graphics rendering goes, office software only uses the standard 2D
windows point & click environment shared by Notepad and Windows Explorer. I suspect little has changed in the
simple 2D functions most versions of DirectX offer, and any reasonably modern graphics card does an excellent
job at accelerating 2D graphical operations.

If so, then surely nVidia FX drives Office faster?

It's the speed in rendering complex 3D models that makes various graphics cards stand out from one another.
Although I've never had office software (as it bores me to tears), I imagine Office 2003 has no use for that
sort of computation.

Hey, I like nVidia cards so I'm looking for reasons to upgrade to nVidia
rather than ATI. :-)

Can't help you there becuase I've only ever had two graphics card -- a Cirrus Logic 5465 (4MB) and the one I
have now. All I know is that my FX5900 has been problem free and handles brilliantly every graphics intensive
game I throw at it.

Tony.

--
3GHz P4 (HT enabled)