Old May 4th 04, 06:31 PM
Kevin Lawton

Simon Elliott wrote:
| Kevin Lawton wrote:
|
|| Nice one, Raju, I wasn't aware of that. I am supposed to be sent
|| bulletins of updates but that didn't come through !
|| Judging by the spec, they seem to have to have altered just a few
|| things for the Rev 3 version of the GA-7VRXP. The sound chip has
|| changed and, most importantly, the FSB clock speed adjustment has
|| changed from being an on-board switch to being set in the BIOS. The
|| limitatons still seem to be the same , though, with a maximum 266
|| FSB (ie: 133 MHz clock) and only two strips of DDR333 memory
|| supported (but three of DDR266 or DDR200). The CPU multiplier
|| remains as on-board switches, too. I guess that this gives a bit
|| more scope for pushing the board past its design limits -
|| overclocking - if you really want to. I would still suggest that
|| this is a good board for a thoroughbred-core CPU, but if you want to
|| get the best out of a barton core then a different board would be
|| more appropriate - the GA-7VAXP perhaps. Kevin.
| Kevin
|
| Thanks for the useful information in this and previous posts. So good
| I've saved extra copies for reference.
|
| Having followed your trials and tribulations in this (and other
| newsgroups) with installing W2K on a GA-7VRXP, did you ever resolve
| the problem?

Not yet, Simon, but thanks for asking.
The problem appears to revolve around the XP2400 processor, as when a Duron
650 is fitted into the GA-7VRXP Windows 2000 behaves fine. But the
combination is good with Linux, FreeBSD, BeOS or Windows Me so I'm thinking
it might be a weakness in Windows 2000.
Latest plan is to progressively upgrade through the Windows 2000 service
packs, using the Duron 650 to get them installed and then swap over to the
XP2400 to see if it will work - I've just not had time yet, that's all. If
that doesn't work, then I'll probably have to purchase another XP2400 just
to eliminate that as the culprit. I'm pretty disgusted at Microsoft for not
providing better diagnostics or at least some sort of help.
Open to any good ideas, of course.
Kevin.