Old May 4th 04, 01:31 AM
Raju

"Kevin Lawton" wrote in message
Mike wrote:
|| Some of my systems use the GA-7VRXP Rev 2.0, and they do not appear
|| to have any way of setting the FSB clock to 166 MHz. On this board,
|| the FSB clock is set using a small on-board switch which selects
|| between 100 MHz or 133 MHz - there just isn't a 166 MHz option
|| available to use. The CPU clock multiplier is also set by on-board
|| switches, but that is another matter.
|
| And I was thinking that when I use a CPU that runs on 166MHz the FSB
| will automatically follow to 333. Am I right or wrong?
|
|| The processor FSB and the memory bus are different and set up
|| seperately -
|| it is important not to confuse the two.
|
| Understood. But you are saying we cannot select a FSB or system bus
| speed on the GA-7VRXP?

No - quite the opposite. You can select the CPU FSB clock speed via a
switch - either 100 MHz or 133 MHz, and you can select the memory bus

speed
via the BIOS set-up - either 100 MHz, 133 MHz or 166 MHz. That's what I

said
and that's how it is. I've used quite a few of these boards recently and

if
Gigabyte have come out with a version which will facilitate setting the

CPU
FSB clock higher than that then I certainly haven't encountered it.

Neither
am I aware of any 'Revision 3.0' or suchlike variant which might support a
higher CPU FSB clock rate.
It is also worth noting that these boards will only support DDR333 memory

in
two memory strips, and not three, whereas DDR200 and DDR266 are supported

in
all three memory slots.
I felt it worthwhile pointing out that the CPU FSB clock rate and the

memory
bus clock rate are different things, as some newsgroup posters seem to
confuse the two. Fortunately, on the GA-7VRXP they can be set

independently.
Kevin.

according to gigabyte website there is a rev 3 board...
http://www.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard/Products/Products_GA-7VRXP%20(Rev%203.0
).htm