Old March 6th 08, 12:39 AM posted to uk.telecom,alt.comp.hardware,alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.equipment
CBFalconer

Default Hum from phone wires running next to mains?

Ivor Jones wrote:
wrote:

[snip]

I've seen cables, including CAT5, with both twisting _and_
shielding around the whole cable assembly. I don't know how
much the effectiveness works together. I have not had a case
where I would consider using it.

That's STP (shielded twisted pair) and is not really worth it for
most applications. There is a military spec. for it somewhere, I
believe.

It's also a different impedance to UTP so may not work correctly
with all equipment.

It should deal with hum pickup on audio cables quite nicely.
However shielded twisted pairs are considerably more expensive, and
you have to be careful about generating ground-loops in the shield
grounding.

I replaced your non-standard (: quote markers with the normal
''. Please don't use thos non-standard characters. They foul up
other software.

[page]: http://cbfalconer.home.att.net
Try the download section.