Old March 6th 08, 12:44 AM posted to uk.telecom,alt.comp.hardware,alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.equipment
CBFalconer

Default Hum from phone wires running next to mains?

"Graham." wrote:

.... snip about ringer specs on phones and lines ...

For the North Americans)
What is unusual with the UK system apart from our "special" plug
and receptacle instead of an RJ11, is the fact that we use a
third wire which couples all the ringers in parallel to a
capacitor in the master socket to which the incommer is connected.
Many modern phones do not even use this "bell wire" and just use
the A and B wires (tip & ring).

In North America again (I don't know about elsewhere) the normal
phone uses 3 wires to connect to the two wires of the phone
circuit. The yellow wire carries the ring signal. Just disconnect
that and the phone won't ring, and the load is zero.

[page]: http://cbfalconer.home.att.net
Try the download section.