Old February 1st 06, 02:12 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64

Default Problems with Dual Core install and Tech Support (Long Rant)

"craigm" wrote in message
WooHoo2You wrote:
Interesting rant, but you brought it upon yourself.

1) When you disable the on-board sound you disabled everything to do with
it, including the back and front ports.

Of course, I had to move the rear speaker connections from the mobo'a ports
to the new soundcard's. Like a video card or anything else.

2) The front ports are electrically between the electronics and the rear
ports.

I am not sure what you mean by this.

If you mean that they are directly connected, they are not. One is a direct
motherboard connection. The other is an aux connection to support
additional ports.

3) Most of the newer HP PCs have drawings of the motherboard on the HP
site. You just need to look. For example, the a1250n, one is here.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...name=c00496280

I searched, however all I found was the main product specs, which all it led
me towards was useless info on my motherboard's max ram, the name (HP's
product name, not anything useful. 'Diablo,' let me search that on Google
and see what I get), rear ports, and so on.

There are usually silk screened labels for the connectors on the board,
too.

There are none on my rig. All are plain. You are right, another helpful HP
feature, they all match. You do not have to worry about one label clashing
with the others. I hate when someone says my PC's innards are tacky.

4) If your sound card supports front and rear jacks, then it would say so
in its documentation. What does the sound card's manual say? Did you
really expect HP to be able to support your use of someone else's product?

I expected them to know something about their product. If you make it, you
should support it. Not telling me they have no information. Not offering
to research the problem, and email the results. Oh, you can pay for the
info is the most they can offer. I did not need help with my sound card, I
needed help locating something within my HP computer, something my
soundcard's manufacturer should not be expected to know. Does Sony know
where the power supply is coming from on a Kia, when you need to install
their cd player? I am guessing they may tell you to contact the builder of
the product.

5) Since you opened up the case to put in the sound card, you should have
been able to determine which cable was for the front sound ports.

The way my case is designed all the front ports are tied together with no
labels (media card, firewire, usb, sound), and their source is hidden. So
their case has a "cool" rounded front, that has no visible way to remove.

6) If your sound card does support front and rear ports AND the
connections match you should be able to make it work.

Not a big fan of "Plug a Play;" meaning, plug it, try to play it, and fry
the board. At least all of the cables are labeled...oh wait, no. I can
imagine HP support if I screw something up. I will definitely have to pay
for "help." Due to the fact they do not support "difficult" problems. Such
as a motherboard, I realize most people do not have them, but a few of us
do. There may be a day, when all HP users have them, but right now I am a
minority.

I would think the HP people could have pointed me into the right direction.
I found the diagram of my modo, from your link. You are not even being
paid. However, HP professionals could not give me that much. I see a big
problem here. I find more help from strangers then from the manufacture.
Weird.... Next time I will email you.

If not, you are out of luck. However, I cannot see how HP is at fault.

My fault with HP is that either their support people are not listening, not
caring, not understanding, or not concerned with their customers needs. I
guess, too much to ask. My problem is, that I am not very comfortable with
motherboards. If I was, I am sure HP would have been a GREAT help, to
another customer, because I would not have tied up their time.

WooHoo2You