Old January 26th 10, 02:10 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
General Schvantzkoph

Default 65c+ temps at idle on celeron d 3.06GHz

On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 06:39:10 -0700, Luvrsmel wrote:

not overclocked but the system was given to me as a junker because of
"overheating." The bios was reading 90+C and I could only read it for a
second before the system re-booted itself. So I replaced the fan and HS
with a copper core intel HS and the temps are now in the mid 60's as
according to CPUID HARDWARE MONITOR. Is this normal for this cpu or has
it been damaged from too much heat? It still runs as evidenced by this
posting from this machine

Running in the mid 60s with no load is high, my suggestion would be to
underclock that system. Go into the BIOS and set the clock speed down to
2.5G, that should lower your CPU temperature by 10 degrees or so.

When you put on the new heatsink how much thermal paste did you use? You
don't want to overdo it, too much paste is as bad as too little.

One more thing, if you want to test the stability of the system run
sys_basher on it.

http://www.polybus.com/sys_basher_web/