Old June 21st 04, 12:06 PM
Dave C.

They don't have an audio input because that goes into the sound card. Even
most TV Tuner cards jumper (by audio cable) the demodulated audio into the
sound card.

Ironically, the least costly solution will probably be a TV Tuner card.
They usually include an S-Video input and you might as well get one with

FM
radio too.

- Good software for time-shifting. When I say "time-shifting", I mean
schedule recordings to run while I'm asleep or not at home so I can

watch TV
programs later.

Anything that is a PVR will do that as that's what PVR means.
"Time-shifting" refers to being able to go back and forward while viewing
the live broadcast (some portion, time wise relative to current, is
continuously stored to disk so you can slide back and forth in the amount
being stored)

I'd suggest you get one that uses the BT8xx chipsets because those are

what
the majority of programs are written for, including a decent amount of
freeware, which means you would not be 'stuck' with the manufacturer's
offering, with the exception of the remote control. I don't know of any
that use a 'generic' remote control which means if you want that to work
you will probably be stuck with what comes with it.

Thanks for the input!!! I somehow didn't think the PVR software would be
flexible enough to draw audio from one of bazillions of different audio
cards. But it makes sense to use the audio card for sound input, as it's
already there (usually). I'll definitely look for that chipset you
mentioned. -Dave