Old March 31st 07, 10:57 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
J. Clarke

Default Justification for DirectX 10 and Vista (was Looking for a "pretty good" PCI-E video card)

Roger wrote:
On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 07:41:16 -0400, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

Roger wrote:
On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 20:04:50 -0400, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

Roger wrote:
On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 21:14:56 -0400, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

SoCalCommie wrote:
But they have to let me know when they're coming. I have to let
them in and I can restrict their access to their ****. Right?
(And, generally, they're not the best and the brightest anyway!)

Yeah, but "their ****" includes the CableCard that is keyed to
the computer.

Some do and some don't.
I've finally found something good about Charter:-)) No Cable
cards.

So you're saying that they provide some way to record HD premium
content

Ah, no. that's not what I'm saying. They don't use cards or STBs.
The digital feeds right into your cable ready TV set unless you
have a tV that doesn't and then you do need a STB.

Geez, you're talking about analog cable which has no high definition
capability whatsoever. DRM is not an issue with standard definition,
even with an STB. Only applies to high definition.

I'm well aware of that. The statement was made earlier in the thread
that cable was required to carry both the analog and digital in the
basic package and they do not do that here. Only analog is in the
basic package. With Charter it's not a matter of codes on a STB, they
have to come out and change the filter(s) at the pole so you can
receive that block of signals.

You're confusing analog cable with analog outputs.

There is no requirement that any cable company discontinue their analog
service, which is different from transmitting analog channels via their
digital service.

They are required to carry the digital channels in addition to the
analog channels, but they are not required to break your door down and
force you to accept a device that allows you to view the digital
channels. That doesn't mean that they are not there on the cable or
that if you ask them to enable them they will refuse to do so.

on your computer without a Cable Card? Care to tell us how you
connect your computer to their system?

I have not tried to connect which would be a waste of time as the
only signals coming into our house are basic analog and the only
reason we get those is the package with high speed internet is
relatively inexpensive.

I see. So you have no experience at all with the use of a computer
as a DVR.

Didn't say that either as it wasn't the original question.

I have one of the computers out in the shop set up to record HDTV
OTA as well as SD digital from the satellite via S-video. It uses the
MSI tuner and capture card. For OTA, or cable it will take digital or
analog, SD or HD, time shift, and do most of the things TVio will do.
I also records and plays back HD) It includes a schedule as well
although the free schedule isn't nearly as elaborate as the one to
which you can subscribe..

If your MSI tuner can capture QAM, then you might find it an interesting
exercise to plug the cable into it and see if it sees anything.

What it will not do is take a HDMI input that is HDCP compliant. I've
found several capture cards listed that do, but so far I've not found
any one who has them. Whether those cards will still permit tecording
HD remains to be seen. They are basic and commercial and run from the
basic card at $250 USD with the commercial starting at $1000 and going
to something like $2500 as I recall.

Whether they allow recording is entirely up to the cable provider. If
the cable box is not set up to require HDCP handshake on the HDMI output
then you can record from it, if it is so set up then you still won't
have a chance of recording from it unless your board is part of a
certified machine.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)