Old July 1st 03, 12:23 PM
Wes Newell

On Tue, 01 Jul 2003 01:30:26 -0700, Clemens Arth wrote:

"Wes Newell" wrote in message t...
On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 03:28:30 -0700, Clemens Arth wrote:

http://mitac.com/micweb/products/notebook/7321.html

Not found....

Sorry, Wes, my fault: The 'l' at the end is wrong:

http://mitac.com/micweb/products/notebook/7321.htm

I think you're right - sometimes you might think producers of pc
components only want to make profit instead of give appropriate
support to their customers - "You'd better buy a new one than to
upgrade your old one...".

What's real strange here is that they show it only to support a 200FSB
(100MHz) abd VIA shows the KN133 chipset that's in it supporting a 133MHz
(266FSB) too. Also, the cpu support link you showed had an 1800+ XP being
supported which uses a 133MHz FSB (266FS). So I'd assume it supports the
266FSB (133MHz).

There's a block of four jumpers located behind the keyboard, so
playing around a bit might get things going - until now there's no
announcement about the jumper settings...

Now these may be the multiplier settings. And like the older desktop MB's
it appears it only supports 4 bits of the 5 multiplier bits. See
Multiplier Cross ref at my site.

I couldn't find a document telling me the thermal specification of any
MOBILE Athlon processor. So I don't know how much thermal power each
processor produces, but according to some articles I read they are all
producing about 40 to 50W - I don't think my AthlonM 1200 is producing
much less then 40 now.

So did I get you right? Documents say, CPUs have a maximum FSB of 266
- using it at 200MHz is no problem? If running them at 200 is no
problem why shouldn't I buy a new XP M 2800+ if I can get it cool
enough?

I'm not sure what you are talking about here. 200FSB is really 100MHz,
400FSB is really 200MHz. So I don't know for sure which you are refering
to with 200MHz as that's 400FSB in AMD marketing BS. In any case, the
CPU's are rated for 50-200MHz, or in amd BS terms that would be
100-400FSB. I also wouldn't waste my money on a 2800+. If like the desktop
cpu's, a TBred B core 2100+ will clock as high as a 2800+. They use the
same core.

I noticed that there might be several different forms of XP-M CPUs for
desktop or notebook use, different packages (18/13 micrometer). Do
they all use low voltage stepping? So, knowing that the 13s need lower
default voltage and can get higher in speed, using them shouldn't be a
problem I guess...

I'd use the one that requires the less power. Assuming your MB will
support the voltage it requires. I'm not really into noteboks. Never owned
one and hated most I've used.:-)