Old June 30th 03, 11:28 AM
Clemens Arth

Default AMD Athlon Mobile XP 1800+/2000+/2200+ running at FSB 200 possible?

Hi!

I got a Mitac Clone MiNote 7321 Notebook from IPC Archtec running a
AthlonM 1200 MHz Processor. I worked through the AMD Technical
Specification Docs and the CPU-Support-Tables:

http://www.mitacservice.com/visitor_htm/cpu.asp
http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/cont..._Rev03_ENG.pdf

IPC told me that's only possible to use Athlon XP Mobile CPUs capable
of running at FSB 200 MHz (Bios doesn't recognise 266FSB-CPUs) and
that's not possible to use CPUs 1800+ due to thermal problems. So I
don't believe everything I'm told (1500+ was the maximum possible told
a week ago) but what really confuses me is:

Is it possible to run a CPU designed to run at 266FSB to run at
200FSB? Is there a special package type I have to use? The original
datasheet of the Laptop is to be found at (please don't believe
everything!).

http://mitac.com/micweb/products/notebook/7321.html

Please, can anyone give me some advice? At the moment prices for CPUs
are quite low and I don't want to miss the chance to upgrade the
notebook as far as possible (2200+ recommended)...

Thanks!
Clemens