Old February 6th 05, 10:21 AM
Nickm

"Si" wrote in message

I just installed the following ram: 1GB Corsair TWINX1024-3200C2Pro. I'm a
bit confused about the timing settings on my Gigabyte 8KNXP Rev 2.0 mobo.
According to the Corsair website, the timing for these modules is 2-3-3-6
for Intel boards but I noticed in the BIOS that the timing entry was set
to "SPD" with the following timings listed: 3-3-8-3. Is this something I
need to adjust, and how do I know which number relates to which entry in
the BIOS?

Cheers.

Si

--
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me then a frontal lobotomy.

Hi Si

It will work for you. As I found you will almost certainly have to adjust
your timings manually.

I have the same board and memory combination. Thinking at the time (over a
year ago) that the best memory around and Gigabyte's flagship model would
sync up out of the box so to speak I installed everything and found that
there were some serious memory errors being caused when memory timings were
set to SPD. I then checked Gigabyte's list of recommended memory
manufacturers and models and found that my expensive Corsair RAM wasn't on
the list. Aaarrghhh!! Lesson: Always check this stuff first AND never
assume anything!

I hunted around a bit on the Net and luckily found someone else who'd had
the same issues and who'd kindly published their ideal manual memory
settings they'd discovered after hours of experimental tweaking. These
worked a treat for me and my system is rock solid stable. Runs two music
apps in the main: Cubase SX3 and the older Cubase VST 5.2 (the reason I
mention these two apps is that if anything's going to fall over for the
slightest reason these are two applications that will notice anything
slightly out of tune and let you know quite impolitely by rebooting). I
also tested extensively with MemTest86

I have to go out in a few minutes, but I will boot my music PC when I return
later today and let you know the BIOS settings I've used. BTW my CPU is
the Pentium 4 3.0e model (not Prescott, but 800MHz nevertheless). Not sure
of the current BIOS revision in my PC, but will check that too for you.
I'll also give you a run-down on the overall spec and other hardware
installed in my system (and in which PCI slot) for reference. It'll take me
longer than I have right now to get the machine out of its current location.
Sorry for any delay.

Please reply via group, my email address is not as this post indicates.
Once bitten by serious spam, I don't intend to go down that path again.

Regards

Nick