Old December 12th 03, 12:56 AM
kony

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 08:08:17 -0500, Frustrated
wrote:

I have a Voodoo 3500 TV video card. Unfortunately, it has only 16mb of
memory and I have several apps that will not run with this card.
(Plus, the company has gone out of business.)

I have a Gigabyte 71XE motherboard. The AGP slot will accept a 66/133
mhz video card. (3.3 volts.) I also have an Athlon 600Mhz processor.

I want to get the ATI Radeon 9200 card with 128mb of memory. Although
this card will run at 8x, it looks like it will also run at 2x (3.3
volts) on my system.

I have two questions.

1. Will this card work ok on my system?

Yes, providing your power supply has enough reserve power. It is
backwards compatible to your motherboard.

Something else to keep in mind is that any apps/games/etc needing over
16MB of video memory may not run too well on a 600MHz system.

2. Can I just disable the Voodoo card and install the Radeon? This
would be in case the Radeon doesn't work and I need to reinstall the
Voodoo. (The Voodoo was a real pain to install initially.)

You didn't mention the operating system, but yes you can "try" just
removing the Voodoo card, though if it was that much trouble you still
might not be assured of it reinstalling easily again, but was it the
actual video driver that was the problem or the TV decoder driver and
software?