Old November 30th 14, 08:14 PM posted to comp.hardware
Haines Brown

Default Troubleshooting HD having an I/O error

I'm runing a new Linux machine with a Seagate Constellation ES.3
ST1000MN033 hard disk. I have had consistent freezes more or less 24
hours after booting, followed by a beep every minute. Once I also had
this error:

[1634.207083] Buffer I/O error on device sdb1, logical block 928015
[1634.207092] JBD2: Error -5 when updating journal superblock for
sdb1-8

I should note that I have no such device as sdb1 (this machine has only
one hard disk, which is sda, and there's not device interface file
sdb1).

My instinct was to do a Seagate diagnostic test on the drive, but I
find that such there is a diagnostic test only for Mac and Windows.

Is my instinct correct or is there some other troubleshooting check I
should do first? If correct, without drastic measures how should I do
diagnostics?

Haines Brown