Old September 27th 04, 12:59 PM
ThunderPC

"Flawless V2" wrote in message
om...
Wes Newell wrote in message
news:pan.2004.09.25.16.27.10.335453@TAKEOUTverizo n.net...
On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 06:33:53 -0700, Flawless V2 wrote:

I bought what I thought was a AMD Athlon XP 3200+. My BIOS is
reporting the processor to be a Athlon 2500+. The guy who I bought it
from said to 'check the multiplier and other bios settings' because
he's assuring me it is indeed a 3200+.

Could the BIOS be incorrect or did he pull a fast one? Is there a way
to difinitively figure this out or do I have to bring the chip to a
computer store to verify the model?

What's the part number on the label?
AXDA2500DKV4D = 2500+
AXDA3200DKV4E = 3200+

Basically, they are the same CPU core with different FSB default. So if
the label says 3200 he probably didn't pull a fast one or know that he
did. It's been reported that 2500+'s have been relabeled with a 3200+
partnumber though.

The chip has part number AXDA3200DKV4E, but if I set the FSB to
anything over 166MHz, it won't boot. It was sold to me as an Athlon XP
3200+ with 400MHz FSB. Besides not actually having a 400MHz FSB, is
there any reason why it would be capped at 166MHz?

They are not bus locked, they are only multiplier locked.