Old September 20th 04, 12:40 AM
David Maynard

Buffalo wrote:

"BillyR"
[snip]

Then I set the Antec PSU's switch from 115 to 230, connected it to

the Neo2,

turned it on ... and everything was dead. When that happened, I

unplugged

the Antec immediately. I don't think I had it powered on at 230 for

more

than five seconds, but now when I try to power on the Neo2, even

with

the generic CompUSA PSU reconnected back to it, it stays dead. So I

guess I

fried it. (I thought the 115/230 selector was for the input power

only and

wouldn't have any affect on the PSU's output to the mobo.)

[snip]

I really don't think you fried it by switching it to 230v.
Reason being that the output voltages should be about 1/2 of what they
would be at 115v, I believe.

Switching power supplies don't work like that. With an improper input, what
happens to the internal circuitry as it tries to do the 'right thing' with
the 'wrong stuff' is indeterminate, except that it certainly won't be
anything so simple as '1/2'.

Now if your power at the wall was 230v and you had the PSU switch at
115v, then I believe you would have fried it instantly.
Make sure , as others suggested. that your wall outlet is properly
grounded and that your power cord to your PC is not damaged and that
is its carrying a good ground.
Taking the MB out of the case to see if it is being grounded by a
screw or other item is also a good idea.
Buffalo