Old December 16th 05, 05:00 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

Default New hard disk architectures

On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 20:31:51 -0500, daytripper wrote:

On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 23:25:50 +0000, GSV Three Minds in a Can
wrote:

Bitstring , from the wonderful person
Rod Speed said
YKhan wrote:

Well, actually, that's one of the things they were talking
about, integrated flash on the motherboard vs. in the drive.

Yeah, I read the article. I was commenting on your subject line.

Not convinced for most desktop systems tho, even on the motherboard.

Could be useful in laptops.

It would allow an even deeper level of coma than 'Hibernation' I guess
.. you could turn the power off or pull the wall plug and still resume
where you left off.

You can do that with a five year old peecee and an even older hard drive.
Hibernate doesn't depend on any circuitry maintaining state, it's a boot-time
function that loads the current hiberfil.sys file if it is valid...

THe hybernate file isn't kept up-to-date. It takes time to hybernate
(maybe even 30sec with 2GB of RAM ;-). Kick the plug out and you *won't*

Keith