Old February 2nd 09, 11:57 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
deimos[_2_]

Default GPU Temperature, Geforce Go 7600

Roberto wrote:
Hello,
Everest says my GPU temperature is usually 10°C greater than the Ambient
GPU Temperature, even when I switch on the notebook from a rest period
(if the notebook is cold, all temperatures below 30°C, GPU is already to
circa 40°C).
GPU-Z says the same, RivaTuner core temperature the same, BUT RivaTuner
core temperature with NVThermalDiode.dll says a temperature similar to
ambient GPU temperature.
Which is correct?
My driver is nv4_disp 6.14.11.6501 (ForceWare 165.01) on XP.
Cause, I think, all the above programs rely on this driver for the
temperature, except RivaTuner with NVThermalDiode.dll, can be a bug?
Maybe the offset is +10 for the driver...
I think so becouse I don't feel the notebook, where the video card is,
more hotter than the rest and how can, when I start the notebook, the
temperature be so greater? In 60 seconds, can grow so high?
Thanks!

A lot of times, you can't trust your temp sensors very much. Generally
I would think the GPU-Z temp is correct. Even when idle, you have a
significant amount of voltage running through the chip. It's not
unusual or even bad for it to idle at 40C.

So much depends on your notebook OEM's thermal pad material, how clogged
your fans are getting, etc. Notebooks in general fair pretty poorly due
to the close proximity of a GPU and CPU, many times sharing the same
heatpipe.

Honestly, unless you're hitting 65C+, I wouldn't worry about it. I
understand it's a notebook and you'd like it much cooler, but there's
not a whole lot you can do outside of servicing it yourself. Also, give
differing thermal sensors a good 5-7C tolerance. They sometimes aren't
so accurate.