Old July 20th 07, 10:37 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
mr deo

Default New quads and the sockets in which they will work?

"***** charles" wrote in message
Hi all,

I would like to get a single socket motherboard now
that will take the quads that come out shortly. Is
this even possible? What I am hoping for is a 1000
like opteron quad that will run at or near 3.0 GHz
and throttle down to low power sleep mode when
not doing anything. Is there anything like this in the
works? The target function is media support and
real cheap on electricity when left on 24/7.

thanks,
charles....

Quad core & low lekky usage..
Sounds a bit backwards to me..
I built a core2duo system with the lowest c2duo chip I could get and it does
PVR, Streaming Media, and file ripping just fine.. If your looking for a
media box then I think you should concentrate on the video card and sound
card.. (until we get VR type movies I doubt multi-core processors will be
needed for media)