Old June 21st 07, 07:18 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,nl.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.design
Lorenzo Sandini

Default New Theory: GTX 7900 with 512 MB killed the motherboard ;) (Overheat!)

Skybuck Flying wrote:
Hello,

snip

Some questions:

1. Is it possible to underclock these cards ?

I don't know and I am not sure I want to know. Using the drivers
probably not, but using Rivatuner and low-level control this should be
possible.

However I wonder why one would like to build a dream machine with SLI
and all, and then underclock CPUs and gfx cards... doesn't make much
sense to me.

My machine is by far not a dream machine (asus p5b-dlx, e6600, 7800gtx)
all running at default, but it can barely be heard even during CPU- and
GPU-heavy gaming. (Noctua cooler and CPU/case fans. No crashes, no
overheating, almost dirt cheap (second-hand mobo and gfx).

2. Is it possible to make the fans spin a bit faster even in idle mode ?

On my 7800gtx, I am still using the original fan, and it cannot be
controlled by using the drivers settings. However, Rivatuner offers
low-level control on the fans' speed, and I can set them manually or
automatically. I leave that control to the driver itself, that takes
care of this correctly. For a SLI setup though, I don't know if the fans
can be set separately.

You should concentrate on having a decent machine running silent at
defaults, so you can enjoy it, rather than be bothered all the time by
all the problems the previous one caused you. You had a dead mobo, SO
WHAT ? Move on now.

Lorenzo
www.brokenbones.d2g.com